Remote working considered
Computer Science & IT
Intermediate / Experienced
201 – 500 employees
Solution Architect - Flexible mix of remote & office based working
As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
With our HQ based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of the tech we use:
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey: We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Want to join us?
Atom is the UK’s first bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance. We’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Technology is what makes the world go round. It’s also what enables us to offer the most efficient, user-friendly app-based bank and ensures that we remain an employer of choice in the Fintech space. The Technology team is made up of; Testing, Engineering, DevOps, Change, Service Management & Architecture. Together they design, develop and deliver a customer journey that represents Atom and its strong values throughout.
In this role you will partner with business and technical teams to craft highly scalable, flexible, and resilient solutions that address customer use cases and accelerate the adoption of Atom. As trusted customer advocates, the Solutions Architecture team helps the organization to understand best practices around solutions that align to business outcomes.
You will help shape and execute a strategy to build solutions for a broad range of customer use cases for retail and business banking customers. The ability to connect technology with measurable business value is critical to the Solutions Architecture team. You should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, products, and technical challenges.
With that, we recognise the importance and role that architecture will play in that journey. The role of the Solution Architect is an enterprise-wide one and links business mission, strategy and processes of an organisation to its technology strategy and documents this using multiple architectural models that show how Atom transitions from its current state to meet the future needs of the organisation in a sustainable and adaptable manner.
You must have the ability to produce innovative strategic technology roadmaps, communicate the approach effectively to senior stakeholders and balance delivery of early business value with strategic progression. Proven ability for driving change through adoption of appropriate technology and design principles.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- As a member of the solutions team, you will develop solutions that help customers build and migrate applications, software and services on the Atom platform
- Participate in deep architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment into various environments
- Conduct one-to-few and one-to-many training sessions with the business development, marketing, training, and technical teams to transfer knowledge of customer solutions
- Ensure solutions are packaged in an easily consumable and repeatable way for customers and internal teams including marketing, solutions architecture, and support
- Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst the solutions architects community
- Author or otherwise contribute to Atom customer-facing publications such as whitepapers, solutions marketing, reference architectures, and reference implementations.
- Build deep relationships with senior technical individuals within Atom and partners
What do we need from you?
- Experience of design/implementation/consulting with distributed applications
- Experience in one or more of: infrastructure architecture, applications architecture, microservice design, database architecture and networking
- Shows a systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail.
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort with both large and small audiences
- Strong written communication skills
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organization.
- An understanding of architectural frameworks e.g., TOGAF, BIAN, eTOM
What would we ideally like from you?
- Expertise in deployments across Cloud, on-premises and Hybrid technology estates, specifically Google Cloud
- RFP/Vendor-selection experience
- Is familiar with the software engineering life cycle for development and the concepts and practices required to implement effective.
- Strong mobile development understanding
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
-Incredibly generous Company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and immediate family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Flexible working in a creative environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer.We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.APPLY NOW