Remote working considered
Computer Science & IT
Intermediate / Experienced
201 – 500 employees
As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East.
Our team currently has 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us? We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of the tech we use:
• Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey: We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow.
That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
The Technology team at Atom develop Java Applications that interact with complex Kafka Message Queues which will extend to be a major component of our bank. Engineers work alongside our extensive internal development team including Architecture, API Middleware, App Dev and Testing teams as well as third parties, playing an important role in building and supporting our Middleware.
Our Data Engineers deliver first-class data solutions, which are secure, appropriately tested, perform well, and help provide an engaging customer experience through developing and supporting the advanced real-time data platform.
This role plays a proactive part in owning the service provided by the Data Engineering team taking responsibility for support, monitoring, measuring performance and addressing technical issues when required.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
• Develop various Java based applications and APIs/Services that will integrate with a number of internal/external backend systems, interfacing with Go Microservices, Mulesoft APIs and appropriate SW languages/tools
• Design and develop Kafka Topics and API contracts, data transforms, algorithms using appropriate SW languages/tools
• Responsibility for maintaining quality in all associated design and document artefacts and technical documentation ensuring maintainability, readability and testability
• Ensure developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing) • Responsible for resolving QA defects by working closely with other teams within Engineering, as well as the SRE and Test teams
• Work closely with third parties to facilitate integration and smoke testing
• Play an active role in the Middleware support rota and ensure appropriate handling and resolution of any live defects
• Participate in daily stand-ups to report progress, current focus, and any blockers
• Responsibility for maintaining robust and high-quality data throughout all design and implementation
• Adherence to data governance principles and standards at all time
• Work collaboratively with the Insight and Intelligence team in maintaining consistent and accurate data
• Continuously evaluate data processes and procedures to maintain a positive and efficient data culture within Atom
What do we need from you?
• C-like language (Java, C or Golang) development experience in an Agile development environment
• Message Queues experience
• A working knowledge of RESTful API design, integrated systems, considering good development practices, use of Unit Testing and Security principles
• Experience of working closely with third parties and external systems
• Clear communicator both written and verbally
• Demonstrable experience of working with and designing a platform, implementing best practices around data processing on an industrial scale
• Demonstrable solid knowledge of data modelling principles, including data lakes and warehousing tools and techniques
• Hands-on experience of ingesting and processing streamed data using tools such as Kafka, pub sub etc
• Strong understanding of the SDLC of data solutions
• Experience of using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, and of containerisation (Docker/Kubernetes)
What would we ideally like from you?
• Hands-on Kafka development experience and/or certification
• Middleware/ESB/Integration best practice
• TDD/BDD experience
• Technical Solution Design & Technical Documentation experience
• Improvisation skills and the ability to think outside the box to solve complex technical challenges
• Experience working in a complex multi-vendor solution environment
• Financial Services or regulated industry experience
• Experience of functioning in the capacity of 3rd line support
• REST API modelling language experience (RAML, JAML, other)
• Experience in ESB service integration
• Mulesoft development experience or certification
What you’ll get from us:
• Competitive Salary
• Annual Share Option – performance related
• Incredibly generous Company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
• ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership
• 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
• Private Medical Insurance for you and immediate family
• Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
• Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
• Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
• Cycle to work Scheme
• Continuous development – professional qualifications
• Flexible working in a creative environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010. "APPLY NOW